Monday, July 26, 2010

Doggie Dilemma

I've been dreading this day.  No, scratch that.  I've been praying this day wouldn't come.

Snuggles is growing increasingly interested in Taco, our dog. Snuggles loves Taco. When Snuggles hears the *click, click, click* of Taco's feet on the floor, he turns to look for her.  He is fascinated by her.  He squeals with delight when she is near.  So whenever possible, I sit with Snuggles and Taco together, and I show Snuggles how to pet Taco gently on her back.  He reaches for her ears and her tail (because they move), but I always redirect Snuggles to pet Taco softly on her back. Taco has done really well with Snuggles. She gives him "kisses" all the time.

That's why, despite the fact that Snuggles has had problems with small children in the past, I was hoping Taco would be different with Snuggles.  After all, Snuggles is a member of Taco's pack.

Unfortunately, we discovered last Saturday that Taco is NOT okay with Snuggles.

Snuggles and I were sitting on the couch, and Taco was laying on the ottoman in front of us.  I helped Snuggles pet Taco for a few minutes, saying "Nice puppy. Gentle." and guiding him to pet her softly on the back.  Snuggles soon lost interest in Taco, transferring his attention to the remote control.  As he frequently does with his toys,  Snuggles patted his hands on the couch in front of him.  All of the sudden, Taco turned and snapped at Snuggles, baring her teeth with a quick *snarl*.  I immediately pushed Taco off the ottoman with my free hand.  My reaction was almost simultaneous with Taco's action.

Taco immediately shrunk to the floor, tail tucked apologetically.  She didn't mean to snap at Snuggles.  She didn't even touch him.  It was just a reaction, just a warning.  I understood that as soon as it happened.  I know Taco didn't mean any harm.  She was just scared.  But seeing her teeth with lips curled so close to Snuggles' face literally scared me to death!  All it would take is one bite from Taco's teeth, and Snuggles could be scarred forever.

In that moment, my protective mama instinct kicked in. Taco has been a loyal, faithful friend for 11 years.  But she threatened my baby, and that is NOT okay for any reason.

And so I'm faced with this terrible dilemma...  My beloved dog, Taco, has become a threat to Snuggles.  It's only going to get worse as Snuggles becomes more mobile.  At some point, it will be nearly impossible to keep Snuggles away from Taco.  I don't want to choose between my faithful friend and my son.  But it looks like I might have to do just that.


No comments:

Post a Comment