Friday, April 2, 2010

Holy Busy Week


Earlier this week I posted on Facebook that what I was looking forward to most about Holy Week was having Good Friday off work. That's sad, I know. But I'm just keepin' it real. Holy Week isn't so "holy" for our family.

I never really thought about Holy Week being so busy until John became a pastor. On top of us both working all day long, we also have church events pretty much every day of Holy Week. Tuesday night we had a Children's Leadership Team meeting. Wednesday night John had church, and he worked with a group to fill the plastic eggs for Saturday's egg hunt. Thursday we had the Maundy Thursday service. Tonight is the Good Friday service. Saturday is the Easter Egg Hunt. (What on earth do eggs have to do with Easter anyway? I'd like to know.) Sunday we have the Sunrise service, all-church breakfast, two morning church services, and an evening baptism service. By the time everyone sings "He's Alive" on Easter Sunday morning, John is dead on his feet.

As Christians, Easter is a time for gratitude, reverence, and joy. I find it interesting that during the one week of the Christian calendar when we're suppose to be the most contemplative, we go into church overdrive, trying to cram in as many services and events as we can in an effort to honor God. I wonder if God would be just as pleased if we SLOWED DOWN to pause in celebration and honor of His sacrifice and love?

No comments:

Post a Comment