Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Solids, Finally!

At Jackson's 6-month checkup, the doctor finally gave the "go ahead" for us to start Jackson on solid foods. Nana was in town at the time, and she suggested we start with rice cereal and then work in yellow vegetables. Since Jackson has already shown signs of allergies, we have to be very intentional about introducing foods slowly and one at a time.

We started with rice cereal mixed with breast milk, and we were pleasantly surprised that Jackson immediately went for it. He opened his mouth and made "mmm... mmm" noises like he wanted more. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to capture photos of him making funny faces at the new taste/texture. He never even balked at it... just off to the races!



A note about the video: My mom was running the camera, and she is technologically challenged. The first take was a no-go because Mom didn't know how to work the camera. So that's why you'll see us continue instructing Mom throughout the video. Ha!

Since Jackson is eating solids now, we needed a highchair. I've been watching Craigslist for several months now, but I didn't see anything that looked like it was in good enough shape. Hairchairs tend to get a lot of use, and they get messy, especially if they're fabric. So I hesitated to buy a used chair unless it was in great shape. Last week I saw a Craigslist ad for a Peg Perego Prima Pappa highchair. I wasn't familiar with the Peg Perego brand, so I looked it up online and discovered that Peg Perego is a high-end brand made in Italy. It's only sold in specialty baby stores and online. I contacted the Craigslist seller, and set up a time to see the chair. The chair was in great shape, but it was filthy--caked with old food and crumbs. (I can't believe someone would sell something like that. Yuck!) Thankfully, Peg Perego highchairs have a soft vinyl cover, so it was an ideal chair to buy used. So we bought a high-end highchair for less than we could have bought a new one from Babies-R-Us! When we got the highchair home, we took it apart. I put the straps in the washer, along with the entire vinyl cover for a good cleaning. I took the rest of the chair frame into the bathtub and scrubbed it thoroughly. Now it's as good as new... and Jackson has a big boy chair!


After a few days of rice cereal, Jackson lost interest. He wouldn't open his mouth for it, just fussed at me instead. So we tried some sweet potatoes mixed with the rice cereal.



He loves them!  He looks like a baby bird... he just keeps opening up his mouth wanting me to spoon it in faster. Next up, squash and carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment