Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Love On Another

It's been a tough couple of weeks. It's during these emotional valleys that I really feel the absence of my family. When John returned from being in Nashville for 4 days, he was back for 3 days, and left again Friday for a mission trip with 5th and 6th graders. So I was alone with Jackson again. Don't get me wrong, I am so glad John went to Nashville, I'm thankful for his job, and I love my son. But I was worn out physically, emotionally and mentally.  So John's announcement that he was leaving again was not well received on my part, and I had to apologize to him for my reaction.

On Sunday our pastor spoke about loving one another. The scripture reference was John 13:34, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." Much to my amusement, there was a typo on the PowerPoint slide that displayed the following words on the big screen:

Love on another.

I giggled as I thought about how that one little typo changed the meaning of the scripture. I don't think Jesus necessarily intended for us to kiss and hug all of our brothers and sisters in Christ. Can you imagine.... ?  I couldn't squelch the snickers as I thought of all the stuffed shirts at work hugging each another.  Alas, the tech crew discovered the error, and I saw the words change on the screen.  "Love one another."

As I reflected on John 13:34 over the past couple of days, I remembered the folks who "loved on" me these past few weeks.
  • Several family members from Elkhart called and sent Facebook messages to assure me of their prayers.
  • Joye and Johnny watched Jackson while Albre attended an appointment.
  • Kendra and Melanie brought dinner so I didn't have to cook two meals. (Yum!)
  • Heather watched Jackson on Saturday so I could get my hair done.
  • Karen listened when I needed to talk.
  • Albre called and texted to check on me.
I don't think I could have made it through the past two weeks without the wonderful people who "loved on" me when I needed it most. Although John 13:34 says "Love one another," I don't think Jesus would mind the typo. These folks "loved on" me when I needed it most, and for that I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment