Thursday, August 18, 2011

Confessions of an Extravert

We took the Meyer's Briggs Personality Type Indicator (personality test) at work a few weeks ago, and my results were predictable. I'm an Extravert... off-the-charts-extravert, in fact. [I know, it's a *shocker*... Not.]

Basically, extraverts draw energy from action. According to Myers Briggs, contrasting characteristics between extraverts and introverts include the following:
  • Extraverts are action oriented, while introverts are thought oriented.
  • Extraverts seek breadth of knowledge and influence, while introverts seek depth of knowledge and influence.
  • Extraverts often prefer more frequent interaction, while introverts prefer more substantial interaction.
  • Extraverts recharge and get their energy from spending time with people, while introverts recharge and get their energy from spending time alone.
I've taken the Meyers Briggs test several times through the years with similar results, and it's always spot-on.  I definitely have an extraverted personality. But motherhood has changed one part of my extraverted personality forever...

I cherish every precious second that I have alone.

I used to *dread* going to the grocery store. And while I don't jump for joy in the produce section, I definitely have a newfound appreciation for that sacred hour of weekly food/supply-gathering now that I'm a mom... becuase I can do it *alone* without a 2-year-old screaming at me, "Mama, I [want to] color!" or even worse, "I poop!"

I confess.  This textbook off-the-charts-extravert-mom desperately craves time alone.  I mean, seriously.  Is it too much to ask to go the bathroom by myself?!

It never fails that I'll sneak into the bathroom and close the door to do my business, only to have Snuggles bang on the door from the outside, crying, "Mama! Mama!"  He carries on like the world is going to end if he can't watch me pee.

I've always been an extravert. And I still am. But every-once-in-awhile, even an extreme extravert needs five minutes alone to poop in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment