Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Life Is in Your Hands

Yesterday I joined the church choir at TCC

I've been involved in choirs since I was a child.  Some of my best memories of my teen years, college and even adult life revolve around my involvement in worship arts ministries.  In fact, Guitarman and I met at worship team rehearsal!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to participate in church choir or worship teams while we lived in Idaho.  I desperately missed it.  I didn't just miss the singing.  After all, I sang on a weekly basis in worship services with the kids and with adults.  I don't need to be on stage or holding a microphone to praise God.  What I missed more than the singing was the community.

Choir rehearsals foster relationships.  Singers spend a lot of time together preparing for Sunday morning services and special events.  We bond as we share our victories and challenges with one another.  Church choirs pray together, they laugh together, they share their lives.  For me, church choir isn't just about making music.  It's about being the Body of Christ.... experiencing community.  That's what I have missed these past four years. 

As we began choir rehearsal last night, my heart joined my face in smiling as I experienced the comraderie in the room.  I overheard excited conversation between friends who had been apart during the holidays.  I saw handshakes, hugs, laughter and even tears shared with a member who was hurting.  I breathed a prayer of "thanks" to God for restoring my spirit.  And then He spoke to me through a song...

The song is called "My Life Is in Your Hands".  It was written for and originally recorded by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir.



God gave me this song in the Spring of 2002.  I sang it for the first time with the Shawnee Church Choir, whose members remain precious to me.  Guitarman and I had only been married a few months when he was unexpectedly laid off from his job.  The situation surrounding his layoff was handled poorly.  We felt betrayed and lost.  I arrived at choir rehearsal one evening discouraged and stressed.  That's when the worship pastor introduced this song.  I couldn't hold back the tears as I sang the words my heart desperately needed to believe:

Oh I know that I can make it.  
I know that I can stand.
No matter what may come my way,

my life is in Your hands.

As the TCC choir sang last night, the lyrics soaked into my heart like the first time.  I felt the emotions all over again as I did nine years ago.  In my spirit, I sensed God saying, "See, I give you the desires of your heart."  (Psalm 37:4).  Once again, the Lord used this song to teach me...  My life is in his hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment